Potatoes Are in Season!
Potatoes are in season in Florida from February to June.1 This “humble” vegetable is known for its culinary versatility, but did you know that it’s also full of nutrients? Shop sustainably by looking for Florida-grown potatoes at grocery stores and farmers markets.
- Potatoes were first cultivated 7,000 to 10,000 years ago in what is now modern day Peru and Bolivia and were brought back to Europe by the Spanish conquistadors.2
- While most regions of the country produce potatoes in the fall,2 Florida potatoes arrive in the winter and spring. This means that one-third of U.S. potatoes produced during those times comes from Florida.2
- Most Florida potatoes are grown in St. Johns, Putnam, and Flagler counties, a region known as the Hastings area.3
- Potatoes are high in vitamin C and are a good source of potassium, iron, and zinc. However, remember to eat the skin—that’s where most of the nutrients are!4
- “Crops in Season,” Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, n.d., http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Marketing-and-Development/Consumer-Resources/Buy-Fresh-From-Florida/Crops-in-Season
- Hodan Farah Wells, “Potatoes,” USDA Economic Research Service, 2014, http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/crops/vegetables-pulses/potatoes.aspx
- Mark A. Mossler and Chad Hutchinson, Florida Crop/Pest Management Profile: Potatoes, CIR1237, Gainesville: University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, 2014, https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pi030
- “Potato,” Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, n.d., http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Food-Nutrition-and-Wellness/Living-Healthy-in-Florida/Healthy-Learning/All-About-Florida-Products/Potato
Photo credits: Tyler Jones, UF/IFAS
Latest posts by sgrenrock (see all)
- ‘Hands on, holistic’ approach to science of cattle reproduction - October 20, 2016
- December 3 is Dine In Day - October 17, 2016
- In the wake of Hurricane Matthew, UF/IFAS Extension faculty step up as ‘second responders’ - October 11, 2016