Youth ages 8-18 are invited to enter the Sustainable Communities Workshop Youth Video Contest for their chance to win $100, and more! The winners will be announced during the 16th Annual Sustainable Communities Workshop, Nov. 10.
Create a video explaining what sustainability means to you and what you are doing to practice sustainability in your everyday life.
- There will be one winner per age group (age as of Sept. 1, 2021):
- 8 – 10 years old;
- 11 – 13; and
- 14 – 18.
- Only one video submission per person or group (you can enter as a team).
- Video must be no more than 2 minutes.
- Video must be original content and work of the youth. Do not use copyrighted sounds or music in your submission.
- Video must address the stated task (above).
- Be creative.
- Content (20 points):
- Did the video explain what sustainability means to them?
- Did the video show/explain what the contestant is doing to practice sustainability in their own life?
- Video is no more than 2 minutes.
- Technical Quality (10 points):
- Lighting: Can the subject be seen? Are they in a well-lit area?
- Sound: Can the speaker(s) be heard? Is there excessive background noise?
- Video Quality: Is the video stable (not shaky)?
- Editing: Are the transitions, if used, smooth? Do they cut speakers off mid-speech?
- Creativity (20 points):
- Did the youth present an innovative use of videography, editing, materials and/or ideas?
Submit your video at https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3pEwQhgH9NiLpe6.
All submissions are due by Oct. 04.
A parent/guardian must submit the video on behalf of the youth participant. The online submission form above includes a consent statement.
The winner of each age group will receive a *$100 gift card. All participants receive a certificate, free ticket to the Sustainable Communities Workshop, and a reusable straw.
This web page lists a few free resources available for video editing.
Sustainable Communities Workshop
Participants of the Youth Video Contest receive free admission to this year’s Sustainable Communities Workshop, an annual event that brings community members together around sustainability. Residents, businesses, students, and others gather to learn from knowledgeable speakers and panel discussions. Join us for the online event to learn from sustainability experts, participate in breakout sessions, networking, and more. Student tickets and financial assistance to attend are available. Visit the event website to learn more.
For questions and assistance, about the contest or the workshop, please contact sustainability staff at SustainableSarasota@scgov.net or 941-861-5000.
*Gift cards will be provided by the Sustainable Communities Workshop fiscal host, Transition Sarasota.