February 4 is National Soup Day! While soup is a popular food all year, soup can be especially satisfying during colder winter months.
History of Soup
January is National Soup Month. However, soup can be an easy nutrition-packed meal to enjoy year-round. Archaeologists have dated the consumption of soup back to 6000 BC. The type of soup? Hippotamus!
Soup is a great way to add more vegetables to your daily routine. Use a low-sodium vegetable broth and add a variety of chopped vegetables.
Another nutritional benefit of soup is hydration. The liquids in soup can help to keep you well hydrated.
Soup has also been found to decrease the rate of gastric emptying. In other words, soup can help you to feel and stay full for a longer period of time. For this reason, soup may be recommended for some weight reduction diets.
Safe Soup Preservation
Have left over soup? Large batches of soup can also be frozen and saved for a future meal. Soup can be saved in a freezer proof container or a freezer bag. Soup can also be preserved using a safe food preservation method such as canning.
Suggestion for a Family-Friendly Soup Recipe
Video Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNUd3dFNQQ
Vegetable Tortellini Soup Recipe
Servings: 8 small bowls or 4 large bowls
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots (about 2)
- 1 cups chopped yellow onion (1/2 medium onion)
- 1 cup chopped zucchini (one medium zucchini)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 (32 oz) boxes vegetable broth
- 1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
- ¼ of Italian seasoning blend
- 1 (16 oz) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 – 3 cups packed spinach
- Shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese , for serving
- ¼ apple cider vinegar
- Non stick cooking spray
- Spray a large pot with non stick cooking spray. Pour in crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth. Add Italian seasoning blend. Add apple cider vinegar. Set burner heat to medium on stove top.
- Add chopped carrots and chopped zucchini.
- Next, spray a large frying pan with non stick spray. Add olive oil. Saute onions and minced garlic until onions are tender. Add pan contents to soup pot.
- Bring soup mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow to boil 8 minutes. Add tortellini and boil 5-7 minutes longer (or 2 minutes less than directions listed on package.) You may set burner to low to continue cooking or to keep warm until serving time.
- Stir in spinach when soup is on low setting. Spinach will wilt and cook from heat of broth.
- Serve soup in a bowl warm. Top with Romano or Parmesan cheese. Suggested sides: salad and bread.
Soup variations: Feel free to add additional vegetables that are in season or your personal favorite. Squash, green beans, corn, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, and kale. To turn this into a meat dish, cook lean turkey or chicken sausage (break it up or slice after removing casings) in a skillet and add to soup at any time in cooking process.
This soup can be prepared in a crock pot. To do this, let liquids and most of the vegetables simmer on low for 6 to 8 hours. Cook tortellini on the stove top to add immediately before serving. Add spinach to the crock pot about 10 minutes before serving. Stir in spinach so it cooks in the liquid.
Soup Grocery List
2 medium size carrots (fresh or frozen carrots will work)
Yellow or white onion. Sweet or Vidalia onions are recommended.
1 medium zucchini
2 cloves garlic , minced
2 (32 oz) boxes vegetable broth
1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
Italian seasoning blend (look for this on the spice aisle)
1 (16 oz) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
2 – 3 cups packed spinach (bagged fresh spinach is recommended)
Shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese, for serving. You can purchase a piece of cheese and shred it with a grater or purchase it pre shredded. Look for shreds versus cheese in a granular form.
Apple cider vinegar
Non- stick cooking spray
Five Interesting Facts About Soup
MyPlate Nutrition Education Series: Add More Vegetables To Your Day
MyPlate Nutrition Education Series: Smart Shopping for Veggies and Fruits
Specific food structures supress appetite through reduced gastric emptying rate