Healthy Superbowl Recipes That Won’t Leave You Feeling Sacked
Guacamole is Always a Crowd Pleaser
With just 8 simple ingredients you can make one of the all-time-best dip recipes. All that is needed is avocados (be sure they are ripe), onions, tomatoes (Roma work best), cilantro, jalapeno (remove seeds), garlic, lime juice and a pinch of salt. Slice three ripe avocados in half, remove the pit and scoop them into a mixing bowl. Then use a fork to gently mash them to your desired level of chunky or smooth. Add the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, garlic, lime juice and salt and stir everything together. That’s it. The most delicious, easy guacamole. The best part of this recipe is you really don’t have to measure your ingredients. You can use amounts by preference of ingredients.
Fresh salsa is always a hit at any gathering, and this is just like your favorite restaurant salsa (but better). You’ll need a few essential ingredients, including: canned tomatoes – I prefer fire-roasted tomatoes for extra flavor, but regular canned tomatoes work too, cilantro – grab a bundle and chop it up to add freshness, jalapeño or serrano pepper – you can use half or a full pepper, depending on how spicy you’d like your salsa, green chilies – one small can boosts that delicious flavor complexity, onion – you can use a yellow or white onion, garlic, lime juice – for extra zing and tanginess and salt – to help accentuate all the flavors.
HOW TO MAKE SALSA:
1. Drain the tomato juice from two 14.5-ounce cans of tomatoes (you don’t want super watery salsa).
2. Add ½ large onion, 2 cloves of garlic, and 1 deseeded jalapeño to the food processor first, to be finely chopped.
3. Then, add the drained tomatoes, 1 4 ounce can of green chilies, ½ to 1 cup of cilantro (depends on your liking), 2 tablespoons lime juice, and ½ teaspoon of salt to the food processor.
4. Pulse in one second increments, until the salsa is smooth but still a little chunky. If you prefer a more liquid texture, pulse more.
5. Season to taste with additional salt, lime juice, or garlic.
6. You’re ready to serve! Or store it in the fridge for later.
Buffalo Chicken Wings
A Superbowl party is not complete without some buffalo chicken wings. Here is a healthier twist to traditional fried wings. Ingredients needed: 1 lb. chicken wings, 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon salt, ½ to 1 cup of your favorite hot sauce, and 1 tablespoon butter. Directions: Fill a large pot half-way with water and then add the first 4 ingredients. Bring water mixture and wings to a boil and then boil for 15 minutes. Transfer wings to an oven safe container coated with cooking spray. Bake wings on “Broil” (high) for 15 minutes on each side.(For crispier wings, cook longer on each side, ~20 minutes per side). While waiting for wings, combine the hot sauce and butter in a microwave safe container and cook in microwave for 2 minutes or until melted. (You can cook the sauce longer for a thicker sauce). When wings are done, shake ’em up with the sauce and enjoy!