Families and friends cherish holiday traditions because they have a way of bringing us closer. They often reflect our values and beliefs and provide a time to relate and communicate with one another. This quality time helps solidify relationships while enjoying and celebrating the holiday season. This year kick your traditions up a notch by adding a few healthy holiday traditions to the mix. Below are some suggestions to get you started!
- Modify one of your favorite holiday recipes to make it healthy!
- Applesauce can be used instead of butter or margarine in most baking recipes.
- Substitute one tablespoon soft margarine or 3/4 tablespoon liquid vegetable oil for one tablespoon of butter.
- Substitute low-fat or fat-free milk, and cheese for full fat versions.
- Substitute low-fat sour cream for full fat versions.
- Revise a favorite holiday beverage – instead of eggnog try reduced fat eggnog.
- Put your own spin on a healthy holiday dessert – Apple Coffee Cake
- Create a healthy holiday vegetable salad using red and green ingredients Apple Salad
- Try a colorful and healthy holiday fruit salad Cherry Salad
- Make healthy and festive holiday muffins – Banana Berry Muffins
- Get outside and take a stroll around the neighborhood.
- Take a family bike ride.
- Morning mile – Walk at least one mile during the holiday season.
- Go on an outdoor scavenger hunt to look for things that represent the holiday season.
- Go for a hike.
- Go play at the nearest playground.
- Participate in a holiday fun run.
- Learn how to play a new sport – try pickleball or disc golf.
- Have an indoor dance party – try to keep moving for at least 10 minutes.
- Make up your own version of holiday charades.