March is National Nutrition Month® and this year’s theme is “Fuel for the Future.” So how can we fuel our bodies for optimal health? It can be really easy when you follow these simple tips from MyPlate:
- Focus on whole fruits and vary the types of veggies you’re eating.
- You can choose fresh, frozen, or canned fruits and vegetables; all will give you the same health benefits! Just watch out for sneaky added sugar or sodium.
2. Make half of your grains whole grains
- Grains provide many important nutrients such as dietary fiber, B vitamins, and iron.
3. Vary your protein routine
4. Choose low-fat or fat-free dairy products
- Dairy foods provide calcium and vitamin D, which help with overall bone health.
- If you cannot have dairy products, soy milk and yogurts that have been fortified with calcium are a good alternative as they have calcium and vitamin D added to them.
For additional information on MyPlate and to find quick, healthy recipes that you can make at home, I encourage you to explore the MyPlate.gov website by clicking here.
Want to learn more about National Nutrition Month®? Find information and interactive activities by clicking here.