The Middleburg Agricultural Research & Extension Center (MAREC) 2017 Summer Internship Program deadline has been EXTENDED until MONDAY FEBRUARY 27, 2017 at 5:00 PM.
The MAREC internship is designed to prepare undergraduate students for careers in the equine industry, academia or the veterinary sciences.
Interns will assist with all ongoing research and extension activities at the Virginia Tech MARE Center. Interns will have the opportunity to disseminate knowledge gained through their project in an Extension or research publication or presentation, if they desire the opportunity to do so.Each intern will be assigned a specific project area, which will include:
- Equine nutrition and health
- Pasture management
- Conservation and land stewardship
- Equine reproduction
- Youth development (4-H)
Additionally, interns will gain practical hands-on experience including daily horse and farm care, nutritional management, young horse handling, reproductive management, pasture and forage management, and potential management of other livestock.
The internship will be located at the MARE Center, which is a 420-acre equine facility located in the heart of Virginia’s horse country. The internship has an official start date of May 22, 2017, but interns may arrive earlier. Late arrivals may be allowed with prior approval.
- Undergraduate students entering their junior or senior year in the fall semester following the internship are eligible to apply
- Housing and utilities are covered by Virginia Tech
- Housing is on-farm in tenant houses (fellow interns will be your housemates)
- No stipend is available
- Interns must pay for their own food, internet/TV, and renter’s insurance
- Interns must provide evidence of renter’s insurance
To apply, please complete the following application: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7jXOOVzQCejT0ZkMmxBeURweWc/view
For further information, please contact Mr. Shayan Ghajar at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow this link: http://arec.vaes.vt.edu/…/middleb…/academics/internship.html