Switch it up with Swiss Chard
Looking for a new leafy green to add to your plate? Well look no further because Swiss chard is here to break up the kale, collards, and spinach. Swiss chard has bright green leaves and depending on the variety, can have vibrant colored stems. Swiss chard is versatile and a terrific addition to soups, vegetable omelets, or stir-fries.
Swiss chard is low in calories but high in vitamins A, C, and K. In facts, one cup of cooked Swiss chard provides 572mcg of vitamin K which drastically exceeds the adequate intake for adults (120mcg for men and 90mcg for women). Swiss chard is also a good source of magnesium and potassium which support heart health.
Swiss chard is an easy plant to add to your garden. In Central Florida, it grows best outdoors in full sun from September to May. However, some varieties can also survive over the summer in a shady part of your yard. Swiss chard is a great plant for growing in a hydroponic system as well. Beginners find that it is low maintenance and fast growing.
Below is a simple recipe that highlights the rich and earthy flavor of Swiss chard:
Sautéed Swiss Chard with Garlic and Lemon
Prep time- 10 minutes
Cook time- 5-7minutes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, ribs removed and cut into ¼ inch pieces, leaves torn into 2” by 2” pieces
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add stem pieces and cook for about 4 minutes, lessening cook time if more crunch is desired.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally to avoid burning, for about 1 minute.
- Add the Swiss chard leaves and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper
From more information on Food Check-Out Week, visit: http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/seminoleco/2022/02/13/food-check-out-week-2022/. Be sure to follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/UFIFASSeminoleCo/) for more exclusive Food Check-Out Week content.