You have probably seen headlines about coyote population explosions, or perhaps your NextDoor app has informed you about recent coyote sightings in your neighborhood. Coyotes still feel like a relatively new species here in Florida, but they made their way here in the 1970s and can now be found in every county in Florida. Despite some people’s efforts to remove this species, researchers and wildlife biologists have shown that eradication efforts are not effective for coyotes. Find out why and how we can learn to coexist with them in our latest Naturally Florida podcast episode.
In this episode, we explore the history of how coyotes made their way to Florida, some interesting facts about their biology, including their critical role in the ecosystem, and of course, ways we can learn to live alongside coyotes in rural and urban settings.
We hope this brief introduction to coyotes will help you feel more informed and excited about the presence of coyotes in the state. With your help, we have a much better chance of reducing people’s fears about coyotes and learning to appreciate them.
New Episode from Naturally Florida
Naturally Florida (a podcast about Florida’s natural areas and the wild things that live here) recently released a new episode about coyotes in Florida.
Check it out, below on Spotify, or on your favorite podcast platform.
If you enjoyed this episode about invasive species vocabulary, please consider sharing it with a friend.
You can find all the podcast platforms where Naturally Florida is published, submit feedback, or request future topics at www.naturallyfloridapodcast.com
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Species Profile Page for coyotes – https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/mammals/land/coyote/
- Watch a webinar on coyotes in Florida – https://youtu.be/0Q3gZnPtwTM (Taught by Lara!)
How You Can Help:
- Share what you learned with a friend!
- Secure attractants like pet food and garbage – https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/UW437
- Haze coyotes that are getting too close to humans: Here is a video from FWC explaining why and how it should be done – https://youtu.be/PnSo45n3mHM
- Have nuisance coyotes trapped by a licensed wildlife trapper – https://app.myfwc.com/HGM/NWT/NWTSearch.aspx
Sources for this Episode:
- Dr. Martin B. Main, Department of Wildlife Ecology and Conservation, University of Florida
- Angeline Barker, Certified Wildlife Biologist®, Biological Administrator I, Wildlife & Habitat Management Section, Division of Habitat and Species Conservation, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
- Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission – Coyotes – https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/mammals/land/coyote/
Learn about other episodes from Naturally Florida by Clicking Here.
University of Florida IFAS Extension is committed to diversity of people, thought and opinion, to inclusiveness and to equal opportunity.
UF/IFAS Extension is an Equal Opportunity Institution.