Listen to this month’s podcast episode for more information!
New Episode from Naturally Florida
Naturally Florida (a podcast about Florida’s natural areas and the wild things that live here) recently released a new episode about American White Pelicans. In this episode, we explore the biology and behavior of American white pelicans during their time in Florida, where you might see them, where they migrate from, and what they look like.
Check it out, below on spotify, or on your favorite podcast platform.
If you enjoyed this episode, please consider sharing it with a friend who might enjoy learning about American white pelicans in Florida! You can find all the podcast platforms where Naturally Florida is published, submit feedback, or request future topics at www.naturallyfloridapodcast.com
- Read and share our blog post on American White Pelicans: http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/polkco/2017/11/22/american-white-pelicans-floridas-other-snowbird/
- Learn about feather adaptations birds have in “Bird Feathers: A Guide to North American Species” by S. David Scott, and Casey McFarland, https://www.google.com/books/edition/Bird_Feathers/LhdExsnFNKIC?hl=en&gbpv=0 The black flight feathers described by Lara are included on pages 35-38.
How You Can Help:
Don’t feed Florida’s waterbirds.
- Read more about why, here: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/UW193
Don’t scare a flock into flight while enjoying Florida’s waterways
- American White Pelicans are very shy compared to other water birds. Harassment of their flocks may lead them to abandon a feeding area, increasing their risk of exhaustion or starvation during their migration. So, consider avoiding flocks you may encounter on our beautiful waterways, give them a wide berth.
Encourage your local government to support the protection and restoration of Florida’s wetlands and waterways
- American white pelicans and other migratory waterbirds in Florida, such as ducks, depend on healthy aquatic ecosystems with ample vegetation, prey items, and good water quality.
Sources for this Episode:
University of Florida IFAS Extension is committed to diversity of people, thought and opinion, to inclusiveness and to equal opportunity.
UF/IFAS Extension is an Equal Opportunity Institution.