Saving Water in the Landscape in 15 minutes: An On-Demand Webinar Series!
Join UF/IFAS Extension Polk County experts for an on-demand series of four, 15-minute online educational workshops to help you save water in the landscape and use irrigation more efficiently. Topics include microirrigation, setting your irrigation timer, irrigation repairs and calibration, and smart irrigation technology.
(Click the topic to register and view the video.)
- Microirrigation: Microirrigation is a type of low volume irrigation that can help you save water and irrigate your landscape plants and vegetable garden more efficiently. The video includes tips on benefits, types of microirrigation, installation, and maintenance of microirrigation in the garden and landscape.
- Setting Your Irrigation Timer: Irrigation timers require frequent checking for correct settings and seasonal adjustments. The video includes step-by-step instructions on general settings to check on your irrigation timer.
- Irrigation Repairs and Calibration: Irrigation sprinklers may become clogged or damaged over time. Regular inspection and maintenance, including calibrating your sprinklers, will help you water more efficiently. The video on irrigation repairs and calibration includes the benefits of a properly functioning irrigation system, routine maintenance, how to calibrate your system, and finding an irrigation professional.
- Smart Irrigation Technology: Are you ready to step-up your irrigation efficiency? Incorporating a smart irrigation controller that is either soil moisture sensor (SMS) or evapotranspiration (ET) based can help you save water. Even if you are not ready to upgrade your irrigation controller, you can use an on online Smart Irrigation App to help you set your irrigation based on plant needs.
Additional resources from the webinar series:
- Microirrigation for Home Landscapes https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ae524
- Micro-Irrigation: A Water Saving Alternative http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/polkco/2019/07/10/micro-irrigation-a-water-saving-alternative/
- Setting your irrigation timer https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/care/irrigation/setting-your-irrigation-timer.html
- Smart irrigation controllers http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_series_smart_irrigation_controllers
- Calibrate, or measure, your sprinkler application rate https://fawn.ifas.ufl.edu/tools/irrigation_presentation/fawn_app_rate.pdf
- Your Florida Lawn – How to Calibrate Your Sprinklers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_wn-hwLNtg
- Irrigation System Maintenance https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/care/tools-and-equipment/irrigation-system-maintenance.html
- Calibrating Your Irrigation System https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/care/irrigation/calibrating-your-irrigation-system.html
- Saving Water Using Your Irrigation System https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/care/irrigation/saving-water-using-your-irrigation-system.html
- Finding an irrigation professional
- System Maintenance
- Smart Irrigation Controllers: What Makes an Irrigation Controller Smart? https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ae442
- Smart Irrigation Controllers: How Do Soil Moisture Sensor (SMS) Irrigation Controllers Work? https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ae437
- Estimated Water Savings Potential of Florida-Friendly Landscaping Activities https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ae515
- Smartirrigation Apps: Urban Turf https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ae499
- Polk Regional Water Cooperative Rebates savepolkwater.org