The sun is shining and the heat is here…it’s summertime in Florida! Whether you’re a native Floridian or just visiting, it’s always important to remember to practice sun safety here in the “Sunshine State.” What are the best ways to protect your skin from the sun?
- Wear a wide brimmed hat; a wide-brimmed hat will help to protect your forehead, face, and neck from the sun’s rays.
- Wear UVA/UVB sunglasses.
- Wear long sleeves and pants if you are working outside.
- Wear SPF (Sun Protective Factor).
When it comes to sunscreen, what SPF is the best?
- SPF 15 is best for everyday use.
- SPF 30 or higher is best for extended outdoor activities, such as working outside, swimming, and outdoor sports. If you work outside, SPF 30 is a must for optimal protection from the sun.
- Be sure the sunscreen you choose is also waterproof.
If you work outside or are planning a fun-filled day of outdoor activities, you want to apply sunscreen on your face, neck, arms, ears, top of your hands…really, any area of your body that is going to be exposed to the sun for a long period of time. Apply sunscreen every 1-2 hours throughout the day, even if you think it is not needed.
Summer is a time of rest, relaxation, and fun. By practicing the sun safety tips mentioned above, you’re sure to have a sun-sational, safe summer!