This year’s 4-H Day at the Capitol (DATC) will be January 30th, 2020. This is a great opportunity for youth to get involved with the legislative process by meeting with elected officials or legislative aides. DATC encourages civic responsibility and develops youth voice. It’s an awesome learning experience for 4-H’ers of all ages!
This event does have some flexibility for families to schedule their own tours (see more below!); however, we ask that everyone from Nassau County coordinates with Mr. Ted to ensure that we are all prepared to speak to elected officials, can attend meetings as a group, and take a group photo! A Nassau County orientation meeting may be scheduled after registration closes.
What happens at DATC?
- Florida 4-H will host opening and closing assemblies to start and end the day our delegation will schedule meetings with our elected officials or their aides (Please let Mr. Ted know before you contact any elected officials, so we can schedule one group appointment for our entire delegation!)
- Other activities to fill the rest of the day can be chosen by families, options include: DATC scavenger hunt; Museum of Florida History; Tallahassee Museum; the Florida Governor’s Mansion.
How do I get involved & how much does it cost?
- Registration will be open December 1 – 20, 2020 via 4-H online (www.4honline.com)
- Cost is $15/person and includes a 4-H polo and lunch (This includes parents and chaperones.)
How do I get to Tallahassee?
- You are responsible for your family’s transportation!
- Based on the number of families that register, Nassau County may be able to coordinate carpool options. This decision will NOT be made until after registration closes, so don’t register unless you are sure you can provide your own transportation to the event.
Where can I get more information?
- Check out the 4-H Day at the Capitol Guidebook 2020 for details and more information including scheduling, what to wear, how to schedule a meeting with your legislator, and more!
- For Nassau County delegation questions, contact Ted Karsch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 904-530-6352.
• 8:00-8:45 a.m. – Check In
• 9:00 a.m. – Opening Assembly and Group Photo
• 9:45 a.m. – Meetings with Elected Officials Begin
• 12:00-1:00 p.m. – Lunch Available for Pick Up
• 1:00-1:30 p.m. Afternoon Assembly