This year’s 4-H Day at the Capitol (DATC) will be Thursday, April 4th in Tallahassee. This is a great opportunity for youth to get involved with the legislative process by meeting with elected officials or legislative aides. DATC encourages civic responsibility and develops youth voice. It’s an awesome learning experience for 4-H’ers of all ages!
This event does have some flexibility for families to schedule their own tours (see more below!), however, we ask that everyone from Nassau County coordinates with Mrs. Kristen to ensure that we are all prepared to speak to elected officials, can attend meetings as a group, and take a group photo! A Nassau County orientation meeting may be scheduled after registration closes.
What happens at DATC?
- Florida 4-H will host opening and closing assemblies to start and end the day
- Our delegation will schedule meetings with our elected officials or their aides (Please let Mrs. Kristen know before you contact any elected officials, so we can schedule one group appointment for our entire delegation!)
- Other activities to fill the rest of the day can be chosen by families, options include: DATC scavenger hunt; Museum of Florida History; Tallahassee Museum; the Florida Governor’s Mansion
How do I get involved & how much does it cost?
- Registration will be open February 1 – 28 via 4-H online (www.4honline.com)
- Cost is $15/person and includes a 4-H polo and lunch (This includes parents and chaperones.)
How do I get to Tallahassee?
- You are responsible for your family’s transportation!
- Limited bus transportation is available through the state 4-H office. Contact Mrs. Kristen BEFORE registering if you are interested in this option
- Based on the number of families that register, Nassau County may be able to coordinate carpool options. This decision will NOT be made until after registration closes, so don’t register unless you are sure you can provide your own transportation to the event.
Where can I get more information?
- Check out the 4-H Day at the Capitol Guidebook 2019 for details and more information including scheduling, what to wear, how to schedule a meeting with your legislator, and more!
- For Nassau County delegation questions, contact Kristen Poppell at email@example.com or 904-530-6353.
See you in Tallahassee!