Planting a tree in a landscape takes planning, and a few more steps than simply putting the tree in a whole. Common issues with tree planting:
- Not calling to check for utilities before you dig.
- This can be very dangerous. In Lake County call 811 or 1-800-432-4770 before you dig.
- Planting too deep.
- Remember to keep the root flare at, or above grade. The root flare is the area where the trunk transitions into roots.
- Placing Mulch against the trunk.
- Remember you want a dish of mulch around the trunk, not a volcano.
For 10 easy steps in tree planting see the full County Factsheet here