Inception of 4-H
4-H has been recognized nationally since the start of the 20th century. A.B. Graham is known as the founder of 4-H. Graham started one of the first rural youth programs in Ohio in 1902. The first clubs were called “The Tomato Club” or the “Corn Growing Club.” By 1912, they were called 4-H clubs. By 1924, 4-H clubs were formed, and the clover emblem was adopted. Youth involved in these clubs focused on serving their club, community, country, and the world by using their head, heart, hands, and health.
Today, 4-H serves youth worldwide and those 4-H’ers are tackling top issues such as global food security, climate change, and sustainable energy to childhood obesity and food safety. 4-H also offers a wide variety of STEAM opportunities from agricultural and animal sciences rocketry, robotics, environmental education, and computer science. 4-H continues to deliver these programs through out-of-school programming, in-school enrichment programs, community clubs, and camps. Currently, there are 366 youth members and 77 adult volunteers involved with Lake County 4-H. For the 2021-2022 school year over 4,630 youth were involved in 4-H Public Speaking and Embryology programs.