The work of several CLUE programs was recognized recently at the 2022 American Society for Horticultural Science (ASHS) conference in Chicago. The Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Program, the Master Gardener Volunteer Program, and the CLUE communications team all received Outstanding Educational Materials awards in the Extension division. Affiliate faculty members Tina McIntyre and Sandra Wilson were also recognized for their work. These awards recognize a single outstanding and innovative extension activity, project, or method that contributes to the horticultural (including turf) industry, such contribution being within the scope of horticultural extension activities in the broad areas of commercial production, processing and marketing, home grounds, and youth work.
- Outstanding App: Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Bee Gardens – Sandra B. Wilson, Esen Momol, Heather Kalaman, Rachel Mallinger, Wendy L. Wilber, Tom A. Wichman, Gary Knox, Jennifer W. Marvin, CJ Bain, Claire E. Lewis, and Carol Kavalan
- Outstanding Bulletin: Plant This, Not That: A Guide to Avoid Invasive Species in Florida – Tina McIntyre, Rachel Gutner, Morgan Pinkerton, and Sandra Wilson
- Outstanding Column: “Gardening” in Florida Farm and Family magazine – Wendy Wilber
- Outstanding Multimedia: “Flip My Florida Yard” Television Show – Crawford Entertainment, Florida Department of Environmental Protection, UF/IFAS Extension Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Program
- Outstanding Newsletter: The Neighborhood Gardener Email Newsletter – Jennifer Sykes, Madeline Iyer, Wendy Wilber, Emily Eubanks, and Michael Dukes
- Outstanding Podcast: “Better Lawns & Gardens Podcast, Featuring Tina McIntyre” – Tina McIntyre
- Outstanding Podcast: “Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ in a Minute” Radio Spots – Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Program, Florida Department of Environmental Protection, WUFT-FM
- Outstanding Primarily Visual: “Edibles to Plant” Infographic Series – Madeline Iyer, Wendy Wilber, Jennifer Sykes, Emily Eubanks, and Michael Dukes
- Outstanding Video: Butterfly Container Gardening Video – Tina McIntyre
- Outstanding Website: Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Program Website – Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Program, IFAS Communication Services, Florida Department of Environmental Protection
See the full list of 2022 Outstanding Education Materials winners at the ASHS website.
The Center for Land Use Efficiency (CLUE) was created to bring IFAS agricultural and urban BMP programs together. Urban programs include the Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ program (FFL) and the Florida Master Gardener Volunteer program. These programs focus on topics such as resource (e.g. water and nutrients) efficient landscape design, irrigation water conservation, nutrient recommendations, consumer preference, and invasive species. Other CLUE programs include the Program for Resource Efficient Communities (PREC) and the IFAS Agricultural Best Management Practices program.