Posted on May 20, 2016
Bug Week is this week! Each year during the week before Memorial Day, UF/IFAS celebrates all things bugs.
Throughout the week, UF/IFAS shares all sorts of information about bugs and how we interact with them, via social media, videos, and news releases.
The infographic below lists simple ways for you to join in on the fun.
Check it out online at http://bugs.ufl.edu/ and on Facebook and Twitter!
Posted on May 9, 2016
UF-IFAS and FDACS-DPI statewide pest update presentations from April 27, 2016:
- Redland Oriental Fruit Fly Eradication Program – Miami-Dade County Dr. Trevor Smith, Director Division of Plant Industry
- Giant African Land Snail Eradication Program Update – Dr. Greg Hodges, Assistant Director Division of Plant Industry
- Giant African Land Snail Eradication Program Update: Part 2.
- Old World Bollworm, Helicoverpa armigera – Robert Meagher, USDA-ARS CMAVE, Gainesville, FL
- Disease Update: Turf, trees, and more – Carrie Lapaire Harmon, PhD, UF-IFAS Plant Pathology & Plant Diagnostic Center and Interagency First Detector Training Opportunities – Dr. Amanda Hodges, Department of Entomology and Nematology, University of Florida
Posted on May 5, 2016
A beautifully laminated identification deck titled “Identifying Stink Bugs and Similar True Bugs of Florida” is now available for purchase at the UF-IFAS Extension Bookstore for only $12! Click on the link below to go to the UF-IFAS Bookstore website.
There’s more to stink bugs than their smell. Some species eat plants and in large numbers can cause serious economic damage, while some stink bugs are harmless or can even be beneficial to crops and gardens. Accurately identifying bugs is the first and most important step in Integrated Pest Management, and this handy guide can help you tell the good bugs from the bad.Twenty-five important species are identified in full-color photos of adults, nymphs, and eggs; with descriptions of identifying features, common hosts, relative size, and pest status. If you’re a grower, a plant industry professional, a gardener, or just a curious naturalist, this is a guide you’ll want to have close-at-hand.
The UF-IFAS Extension Bookstore is located at:
P.O. Box 110011
Gainesville, FL 32611-0011
Toll Free Phone: 800-226-1764
Posted on April 22, 2016
Posted on April 1, 2016
UF-IFAS and FDACS-DPI have organized a statewide pest update for Wednesday, April 27, 2016 from 10am-12pm.
The following topics will be discussed:
- Oriental Fruit Fly Eradication
- Giant African Land Snail Eradication
- Old World Bollworm
- Disease Update
- Interagency First Detector Training Opportunities
The training will be held as a statewide Polycom Pest Update and the conference ID is 7832000
Current locations for available training registration include:
UF Gainesville McCarty Hall, Room G001:
UF Entomology Dept. Room 1027
CREC- Ben Hill Griffin, Jr. Citrus Hall teaching lab:
MREC – Apopka/Research Complex/183 & Apopka/Learning Complex/B-111:
FLREC Room T-103:
GREC Main conference room:
EREC Administration Building Conference Room 2
Collier Conference Room
Indian River Research and Education Center: Room 100
For your convenience, you can link to the location for your registration above.
For your information, FDACS-DPI has obtained one CEU for the following categories:
- Private Applicator
- Demonstration and Research
- Ornamental and Turf
- Regulatory Pest Control