I knew it would happen – the new colorful disks of dish and laundry detergent have caused the death of a child!! A 7-month old Florida boy died after swallowing a candy-colored liquid laundry packet. The Florida Poison Information center says it has received almost 300 exposure reports so far this year.
So what can we do? First of all, spread the word
- Everyone must securely store any substance like these disks out of the reach of children. Use a child-resistant package and re-close it after each use.
- Consider returning to the use of a powder or liquid detergent.
- Post the Poison Helpline number several places in your home 1-800-222-1222. If someone has trouble breathing, call 911 first.