4-H provides an opportunity for young people to learn and grow as leaders. One way for youth to do this is through the Seminole 4-H Youth County Council. But what is it? How can young people become involved?
What is 4-H Youth County Council?
- Group of 4-H members from around the county led by youth officers who meet, discuss, plan, and assist in carrying out 4-H programs and activities.
- Link between local 4-H clubs and independent members and the county 4-H program.
- Opportunity for 4-H members to learn leadership and assist with county 4-H programs and activities.
Voice of 4-Hers at the county level.
Ways to be involved
- Come to the monthly meeting. Meetings are the first Thursday of every month (September to May) from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at University of Florida IFAS Extension Seminole County.
- Be a part of a committee.
- Plan and assist with 4-H programs, events, and activities.
Committees consist of a small group of members who come together for a specific purpose and goal. Committee Chairs guide the group’s discussion. Committees can help develop a sense of teamwork and provide youth a forum to share their voice, plan events and activities, and make recommendations to the 4-H Youth County Council. Committees meet during 4-H Youth County Council meetings.
Standing Committees: Focus on more involved tasks and meet for a longer period of time (sometimes the entire 4-H year).
- Programs- decide on what educational programs are offered at 4-H Youth County Council Meetings
- Ways and Means- fundraising
- Community Service
- Public Awareness
Special or Ad-Hoc Committees: Plan and carry-out an activity for a limited amount of time. When the event, activity, or program is complete, the committee disbands. In most cases, special committees plan a specific 4-H event or activity.
- 4-H Thank You Luncheon
- Fashion Revue and Shae the Fun
- County Events
- 4-H Awards
Why participate in 4-H Youth County Council?
- Guest speakers and educational programs
- Fun and games
- Connect with 4-Hers from across Seminole County
Ellison, S. and Tesdall, T. (2018). A Guide to the Florida 4-H Council. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/4H315. Retrieved September 27, 2023. Kustka, L. (2005). Forming Club Committees. https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/wi4hpublications/files/2015/10/Forming.pdf Retrieved September 27, 2023.