What’s the big deal?
As one of the fastest growing counties in Florida, Polk County, it’s time to get serious and get Florida-Friendly! With so much development and population growth our natural resources, including our water resources, are strained.
What is Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ and how can it help?
Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ is a program offered through the University of Florida/IFAS Extension Polk County and the Polk County Master Gardeners to recognize and encourage outstanding landscaping. Participation helps encourage and support wildlife, reduce water and pesticide usage, and promote a healthier environment through the nine principles of Florida-Friendly Landscaping™.
- Cost savings by reducing the need and use of water, fertilizer, pesticides, and maintenance.
- Increase curb appeal.
- Support wildlife (including pollinators).
- Carbon sequestration.
Who is part of the solution?
All of us! While that might seem obvious, we can all play a role in creating beautiful landscapes and greens spaces that support wildlife and help protect our natural resources.
- City and municipal staff: Set the example by creating and maintaining public spaces that are recognized as Florida-Friendly for others to learn from.
- Business owners: Ensure that the green spaces around your business meet the Florida-Friendly standard and contact us to get them recognized as an official Florida-Friendly Landscape.
- Polk County residents: Take actions to ensure your landscape follows the nine principles of Florida-Friendly Landscaping™. Residential landscapes can also be recognized as Florida-Friendly.
Are you ready to have your landscape recognized as Florida-Friendly?
If you are a resident, city/municipality, or business in Polk County, FL, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 863-519-1041 to learn more about having your landscape officially recognized as Florida-Friendly and help make Polk the Florida-Friendliest County!
Recently recognized Florida-Friendly Landscapes in Polk County
- Auburndale Rotary Butterfly Garden, Downtown Auburndale
- Pilaklakaha (PK) Ave, Downtown Auburndale
- Butterfly Garden, Downtown Davenport
Check back for updates on additional sites in Polk County, Florida that have been officially recognized as a Florida-Friendly Landscape!
An Equal Opportunity Institution