Earth Day is coming up and I think it’s safe to say, we have all come to appreciate Mother Earth a little more lately. While the heat of summer is upon us, we encourage you to take some time to get outside…maybe in the early morning or late evenings when it’s not so hot 😉 When you’re not outside, we would love to teach you about what is outside. So, check out our lineup of activities you can join for our virtual Earth Week:
Monday, April 20 from 2-3pm
- Featured Creature: Coyotes: Join Natural Resource Agent, Lara Milligan as she kicks off her Wildlife of Florida Webinar Series with a presentation about coyotes. To register, click here –https://ufl.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMkd-Corzwtn8wnVjk-Z6EUXP1o9uKp6A
Tuesday, April 21 from 12-1pm
- Landscaping for Wildlife: Urban Horticulture Agent, Theresa Badurek will be teaching tips and techniques to turn your yard into great habitat for area wildlife. No registration required, simply use this link to join on the day and time of the program –https://ufl.zoom.us/j/409155703
Wednesday, April 22
- 4-H Youth Summit – An assembly of teens from Pinellas County and neighboring counties in FL and Puerto Rico (via online platform) will gather together to identify solutions to environmental problems facing Florida and Puerto Rico and develop an Action Plan to address the current issues. Participants will engage in a Climate Challenge “TRIVIA GAME”. Guest speakers in the Environmental and Sustainability field will share their expertise and youth leaders will guide the breakout sessions where youth teams will tackle one of four global issues. Open to youth ages 10-14 (you do not have to be a 4-H member). This opportunity is presented by 4-H Program Assistant, Mr. Sandy Hernandez. To register, click here – https://www.eventbrite.com/e/93682417633
Thursday, April 23 from 10-11am
- Sea Grant Ask an Expert – This is your chance to talk with UF/IFAS Extension Pinellas County Urban Sustainability and Sea Grant Agents Ramona Madhosingh-Hector and Libby Carnahan! appropriate for all ages, but the science and management issues discussed may be advanced for young students. These talks will be conversational without the use of slides. To register, click here – https://ufl.zoom.us/meeting/register/uJApdu-opjgrJTELEgLcZtJxufG8pVD20A?fbclid=IwAR0ozKQahhj3OXDyvnqJGNPV7g9QE08vBM8tHYtrmPlVrQB-WynrC1Yq3yQ
Friday, April 24 from 2-3pm
- This or That? Is it a Turkey Vulture or a Black Vulture? A venomous or non-venomous snake? An invasive exotic species or a native treasure? This class, for the whole family, will introduce you to some of Florida’s easily mistaken species. Learn how to quickly tell two similar plants or animals apart with this virtual class by Extension Specialist, James Stevenson Click here to register – https://ufl.zoom.us/meeting/register/vJQkcu-trT0iLkZOwJFU7vuEwf3AbS-UpA
Saturday, April 25 from 10-11am
- April is Water Conservation Month! Join Doris Heitzmann, the Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Program Manager to find out how to plan for and keep your garden looking healthy and attractive while conserving water. We will also talk about the important role trees play in your Florida-Friendly landscape and for the environment. You can register for this online class at: https://earthdayffl.eventbrite.com
check out this photo gallery:
Be sure to stay tuned to our Facebook Page (https://facebook.com/PinellasExtension) for more ways you can celebrate Earth Day this year. We will be sharing tips for living a greener life, videos and more!
Happy Earth Week from UF/IFAS Extension Pinellas County!