Drop off Opened Suspicious Seed Packages at UF/IFAS Extension Offices
As part of a Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) and UF/IFAS Extension statewide collaboration, anyone having suspicious seed packages that have been opened can drop them off at UF/IFAS Extension Offices. In Tallahassee, this is the Leon County Extension Office at 615 Paul Russell Rd., Tallahassee, Florida 32301.
At the Leon County Office, there is a drop off box located on the south side of the building where the submission forms will be available. The submission form must accompany the packages that are dropped off.
The following steps will need to be adhered to when dropping off the suspicious seed packages:
- Public should only bring seed/plant material packets and their original packaging materials to the Extension Office, which should then be placed in a plastic zip bag.
- Persons must complete the one page form and attach it with their sealed bag of seeds prior to placing in the drop-off chute. The forms will be available by the drop-off site.
- Only packages containing seeds or plant material should be dropped off.
- Unopened packages and packages containing other non-agricultural items should be maintained by the homeowner and they should contact USDA APHIS Anti-Smuggling hotline at 1-800-877-3835 or SITC.firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Extension Office will arrange for seeds that are dropped off to be picked up by a representative from FDACS.