Time: 20-30 minutes
Hard-boiled eggs Water Vinegar Baking Soda Food Coloring 4 Cups
Prior to Activity:
Make predictions with the campers on what they think will happen.
- Which egg will have the darkest color?
- What will happen to the egg in the cup with all vinegar?
- What will happen to the egg in the cup with baking soda?
What to “Do”:
1. Boil Eggs
2. Boil water.
3. Fill 3 cups with 1/2 cup boiling water
4. Add 1 teaspoon of vinegar to one of the cups.
5. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to one of the cups.
6. Do not add anything to one of the cups.
7. Add 1/2 cup vinegar to one of the cups.
8. Add 15-20 drops of desired food coloring to all of the cups.
9. Mix well.
10. Place 1 egg in each cup of water.
11. Leave eggs in cups for 15 minutes. The longer the eggs stay in the water the dark the color.
12. Remove eggs from food coloring and let dry .