The Peanut Butter Challenge 2023

Ready, Set, Give

The Peanut Butter Challenge, a state-wide annual tradition of giving, runs from Oct. 1 through Oct. 31. During this month, counties compete to collect donations of this nutritious spread. All donations go to local food pantries to feed communities in need.

Last year, UF/IFAS Extension and Florida A&M University Extension in 42 counties participated in the Peanut Butter Challenge. In total, 19,643 jars were collected, enough to make over 400,000 peanut butter sandwiches!

Florida is the third largest producer of peanuts in the country, producing 554 million pounds of peanuts in 2022. Most of the peanut production occurs in Suwannee Valley, the Panhandle, and southward to right below Marion County.

About 75 percent of the peanuts produced in Florida are made into peanut butter, and the other 25 percent are reserved for next year’s seeds, snacks, candy and oil.

The Peanut Butter Challenge is a great way to help families in need with help from a crop grown right here in Florida!

To learn more about specific events related to the challenge in your area, check your nearest county office here.

Read more about the event here.


Florida Peanut Federation  

Florida Peanut Producers Association  

Florida Ag in the Classroom: Florida’s Peanuts in a Nutshell! 


Shirley De Leon, Online Community Manager for the Web Services team at UF/IFAS Communications

Posted: October 2, 2023

Event Details

Start:  01-Oct-2023 at 7:00 am
End:  31-Oct-2023 at 7:00 pm

Event Series Details:  Not available
Contact:  Not available
Event Link:  Not available
Event Location:  Florida, USA

Category: Health & Nutrition
Tags: #peanutbutterchallenge, Peanut, Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Challenge, Peanut Industry, Peanut Production

Subscribe For More Great Content

IFAS Blogs Categories