Have You HERD Fall 2023 & Spring 2024
The Have You HERD Fall 2023 AND Spring 2024 applications are due on Friday, August 4, 2023!
Haven’t HERD? The UF/Animal Sciences department (ANS) offers high school students and recent graduates an opportunity to spend a day in the department-completely customized to their interests! Students will attend ANS classes, interact with current students and faculty, tour UF campus, and even stay for a club meeting or practice with the livestock, horse, or meat judging teams.
- Complete the application, which includes a video portion
- Applicant must be a current high school student or graduated from high school within the past year.
- Have an interest in or career goals related to animal agriculture.
Glimpse into a Have You HERD day
The student and their chaperone(s) will typically arrive between 8-9 AM and stay until around 4-5 PM (unless they choose to attend a club meeting). Each student’s day is individually customized to their interest, this means that no two students will have the same schedule! But, they all will have the following incorporated into their day:
- A one-on-one meeting with an academic advisor to discuss our academic program and how it fits with the student’s potential career options.
- A campus tour, typically visiting the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Reitz Union, and McCarty Hall. Specific building requests can be made!
- Lunch on campus is provided to the student and chaperone.
- Attend Animal Sciences classes. Labs and lecture courses are selected based on the student’s interests. To sit in on multiple labs and/or lectures, it is likely that HYH participants will not attend an entire class period, but we try to ensure that they are attending the highlight of the period that day. Chaperones will not be permitted to attend classes.
- Meet-ups with ANS students, ANS club representatives, and/or judging team coach(es) and members.
Spring 2023 Have You HERD participants
How to apply
The Have You HERD application is due by August 4, 2023. This year, the application will be for both fall 2023 and spring 2024.
A major part of the application is a 2-3 minute video of yourself. Within this video, answer the following questions:
- Tell us about yourself. What activities or events have you been involved in through high school (4-H, FFA, Junior Breed Association, etc.) What animal-related activities?
- What are your career interests?
- Why would you like to be chosen for the Have You HERD program? What would you be the most interested in seeing on a day in the life of an Animal Sciences student?
Click here, or scan the QR Code to apply:
Find more information about the UF/IFAS Department of Animal Sciences on our website. Stay in touch with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Read more on UF/IFAS ANS here: http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/animalsciencesdept/.