Positions are multifaceted, including sea turtle and shorebird nest monitoring work, as well as the opportunity to gain insight into the management of a Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP), government administration, and enforcement of rules and regulations pertaining to the protection of endangered and threatened species and the beach environment. Self-starters and eager learners are highly encouraged to apply.
- Conduct early morning sea turtle nesting surveys – includes monitoring, marking, and excavating sea turtle nests and recording all necessary data under the supervision of a field biologist and along with other volunteers
- Conduct shorebird nest surveys and perform educational stewardship activities
- Operate and maintain four wheel drive vehicles – a vehicle for work transportation will be provided.
- Use high accuracy GPS units to collect waypoints and relevant information at all nest sites
- Data entry work including the use of Microsoft Access and Excel programs to accurately record biological data and track other HCP-related information
- Distribute educational material to coastal residents and businesses, interact positively with the public, and participate in edu-cational outreach events
- Monitoring other coastal wildlife, coordinating beach clean-up events, responding to marine mammal and sea turtle strandings, assisting with sea turtle lighting surveys
- All applicants must be 21 years or older
- Pass a background check
- Have or be able to obtain a Florida drivers license
- Must be able to handle physically demanding conditions including extreme heat, moderate rain and biting insects
- Preferred candidates will plan to attend one of the FWC Nesting Beach Survey Workshops (http://myfwc.com/research/wildlife/sea-turtles/nesting/training-materials/).
Internship program hours can be used for college credits. Room/board/salary and benefits are NOT provided.
To apply, mail or e-mail a cover letter, resume and three professional references (including available start/finish dates and number of days per week you are able to commit) to:
Deadline for all applications is Wednesday, March 1, 2017
Please direct questions to Becki O’Keefe at email@example.com or (386) 238-4716
Please visit www.volusiaseaturtles.org for more information about the program.