4-H in Schools Near You
When most people think of 4-H, they think of our traditional clubs, but did you know 4-H programming is available in the classroom through our school enrichment programs? Last year, Nassau County 4-H reached over 3,000 youth through school programs including embryology, public speaking, YUM, and more. These programs bring the knowledge of our faculty and volunteers directly to students without ever leaving the classroom. They allow youth to participate in projects that supplement their existing lessons without putting added strain on teachers. And the best part? They’re free!
So what can you do now that you know about school enrichment programs?
1. Teachers & School Administrators – Contact the Extension office and let us know what types of programs you are interested in.
2. Parents – Contact your child’s teacher and share this knowledge with them, so they can get their class involved.
3. Others – Volunteer with us! We need your help to make programs like these accessible to all children. Training is provided when needed.
Below is a list of our most popular programs, but these are just a few options available! Agents and staff are happy to customize to the needs of your classroom if at all possible. Please note that all programs are reserved on a first come, first served basis, so call today to secure your spot on our calendar.
- Tropicana Public Speaking:Youth in grades 4-6 have the opportunity to learn how to write and deliver a public speech. Youth who excel in classroom and school wide competition will advance to the county level competition. For more information on this program visit: http://florida4h.org/news/public_relations/tropicana.shtml.
- Embryology: Egg-splore the science of embryology from egg to chicken. This program is best suited for students in grades 3-8. During this learning opportunity, students will be provided with equipment and eggs to potentially hatch in your classroom. You will have a daily commitment of caring for these animals. If you are interested in participating, please call early to reserve your class or grade level the equipment as we only have a limited supply. This is a spring program. For more information on this opportunity visit the following website: http://florida4h.org/embryology/
- 4-H In-School or After School Club: 4-H has a wide variety of options and if you can’t choose just one, consider starting a 4-H club at your school and participating in multiple projects! 4-H clubs can be run during or after the school day with the assistance from teachers, volunteers, or school administrators. To find out more, contact our office!