Archery Matches 101
4-H Archery offers a variety of opportunities for youth to compete competitively in matches throughout the year. Matches include: Field, Indoor, 3D, Traditional, and the State Match. Youth will also have chances to compete in various county sponsored matches, and possible 4-H National Championships in Grand Island, NE.
Each match is unique and offers a different experience for the youth involved.
- Field Match – Is typically held at the Easton Newberry Archery Complex in the fall. This match is usually held on a walk thru course consisting of 14 stations with 4 arrows being shot at each station. Target size varies and target distance is always known. Arrows are scored 5X-5-4-4-3-3, and max score is 280 points.
- Indoor Match –Is typically held at the Easton Newberry Archery Complex in December. This match is held on the indoor range. Archers shoot 10 ends of 3 arrows for a total of 30 arrows. Target size for Junior is 60cm at a distance of 9 meters and Intermediate and Senior target size is 40cm at 18 m. Arrows are scored 11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, and max score is 330 points.
- 3D Match – Is typically held at the Easton Newberry Archery Complex in January. This match is usually held on a walk thru course consisting of 14 stations with 1 arrow being shot at each station, and the course being shot 2 times. Targets are various 3D animals and distance is known for Junior and Intermediate, and unknown for Senior. Arrows are scored 11-10-8-5, and max score is 308 points. Arrow must hit “hair”. If arrow hits horn, hoof, rock, or dirt mound it scores zero.
- Traditional Match – Is typically held at the Easton Newberry Archery Complex in February. This match is ONLY open to bare bow competitors using long or recurve bows. It allows archers to show off their skills Field, FITA, and 3D. Number of arrows shot, varies with age divisions.
- State Match – Is typically held at the Easton Newberry Archery Complex in March. This match is the final of all state matches, and where youth can use all their skills learned throughout the year. It allows archers to show off their skills Field, FITA, and 3D. Number of arrows shot, varies with age divisions. Top 4 Senior Archers in compound and recurve divisions get a chance to compete at the National 4-H Shooting Sports Championships in Grand Island, NE in June.
- County Matches – Throughout the 4-H individual counties will have matches for fun or fundraising these matches offer youth a chance to experience an archery match on a smaller scale.
Registration – ALL State sponsored matches run registration through the 4-H Online system.
For more information of questions, please call the UF IFAS Glades County Extension Office at 863-946-0244, or visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Glades-County-4-H-205890332780592/.