A 4-H’ers Tips for Creating an Attractive Holiday Centerpiece
Tis’ the Holiday Season and family gatherings are in full swing!
A key part of any holiday table is the centerpiece. Recently, St. Johns County 4-H’ers participated in a demonstrational video where they learned proper table setting and etiquette. Of the topics covered, creating an attractive centerpiece was a big focus for our 4-H’ers! Centerpieces are a great way to add appeal to your table. Our 4-H’ers wanted to pass along a few tips for creating an attractive centerpiece for your table.
Tips for Creating a Centerpiece:
- Choose a Centerpiece that follows the theme of your table. You need to pick a theme for your table that follows along with your event. Whether celebrating a holiday or just hosting a friendly gathering, choosing colors that correlate with your theme will give cohesiveness to your table. These colors should be represented in your centerpiece.
- Be mindful of the height. While centerpieces are a great addition to your table, they can also be a distraction for your guests if not tactfully placed. For a short centerpiece, it should be no taller than 12 inches. For a tall centerpiece, it should be at least 18 inches tall. These heights will prevent the centerpieces from inhibiting your guests view of their tablemates.
- Keep it balanced. Centerpieces should be well thought out and maintain balance throughout the piece. If you are using flowers, you can create interest in your piece by carefully placing them to make an even appearance. You will also need to pick a vase that is appropriate for the size of you arrangement.
- Simplicity is a good thing. Centerpieces are meant to be an addition to your table and not distract from the event. Keeping your arrangements simple will ensure they are not overwhelming the rest of your table.
- Consider the shape and size of your table. The dimensions of your table may impact the type of centerpiece that works best for you. Single centerpieces work best for round or square tables, while rectangular tables can do with multiple centerpieces.