Many people take for granted that soap and water are enough to clean and sanitize a kitchen. While it is true that it may clean up some of the dirt and grime, it does not properly sanitize a kitchen. The definition of sanitizing is reducing germs (ie salmonella, E Coli, Norovirus) to a safe level so that illness is unlikely to occur.
It is very important to sanitize after utilizing your kitchen for food preparation. The proper steps include spraying the surface with sanitizer of choice, leave the sanitizer on the surface for the suggested amount of time, then allowing the surface to air dry OR dry with a clean paper towel (not dishrag!).
Chlorine bleach is an effective sanitizer since it reacts quickly and becomes inactive quickly. Rule of thumb is to use a small concentration of bleach, one scant teaspoon of chlorine bleach (fragrant free) to one quart of water. This solution will stay good for a week.
Vinegar or hydrogen peroxide can be used also. For exact steps to prepare a solution made from both products, please see the link. below.
How often you sanitize depends on your personal situation and the level of immune compromised living in your house. Questions to ask is:
Do you have elderly people living with you?
Do you have someone in your house that is severely ill or immune-compromised?
Do you have children under the age of 5 in your home?
Do you have indoor or outdoor pets?
Sanitizing daily is a good habit to help keep the germs at bay.
Cleaning and Sanitizing the Kitchen: Using Inexpensive Household Food Safe Products: