In this episode we explore some sounds of summer…grasshoppers, crickets, cicadas and more! How do they make calls? Why are they so loud? Are they really going to to take over the world every 17 years? Find out this and more in our latest episode of “Naturally Florida”.
New Episode from Naturally Florida
Naturally Florida (a podcast about Florida’s natural areas and the wild things that live here) recently released a new episode about the sounds of summer including grasshoppers, crickets, katydids, and cicadas.
Check it out, below on Spotify, or on your favorite podcast platform.
If you enjoyed this episode about singing insects, please consider sharing it with a friend.
You can find all the podcast platforms where Naturally Florida is published, submit feedback, or request future topics at www.naturallyfloridapodcast.com
- Common Grasshoppers in Florida – https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/IN010
- Cicadas of Florida – https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/bugs/cicadas.htm
- Singing Insects of North America – https://orthsoc.org/sina/index.htm
Call to Action:
- Leave portions of your yard unmown
- Reduce use of lawn chemicals
- Be tolerant of chewed leaves
Sources for the show:
Learn about other episodes from Naturally Florida by Clicking Here.
University of Florida IFAS Extension is committed to diversity of people, thought and opinion, to inclusiveness and to equal opportunity.
UF/IFAS Extension is an Equal Opportunity Institution.