LEED ( Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is a voluntary rating system created by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) to make it simpler for homebuyers anywhere in the country to identify green homes.
Developed by a diverse group of national experts and experienced green builders, the LEED for Homes Green Building Rating System provides a consistent measurement for sustainability, addressing such aspects as:
- Is the home location responsible in its relation to the larger community?
- Does the use of space minimize the project’s impact on the site and natural surroundings?
- Does it enable efficient use of water indoors and outdoors?
- Is the home energy efficient?
- How do materials used and waste created affect the environment?
- How is the indoor air quality?
- Has the owner/ tenant been educated about the green features?
- Does the design and construction improve upon the program suggestions?