by Mary Campbell, Pinellas County Extension Director and Urban Sustainability Agent
Here are some simple things you can do to be GREEN at work:
- Print double-sided whenever possible.
- Narrow your margins to reduce paper.
- Reuse the back of a one-sided document for drafts before you recycle the paper.
- Use reusable mugs and dishes for your drinks and food during the day to reduce waste.
- Ask for and order recycled content office paper, supplies and products. Buying recycled content helps turn recyclables into new products.
- Turn off your lights when not in your office.
- Turn off your computer screen when you are away from your desk for long periods of time.
- Turn off your computer when not in use.
- Open window blinds to let in natural sunlight and turn off overhead lights whenever possible.
- Turn off vehicles when stopped. Idling vehicles waste energy and cause increased pollution.
- Use recycling containers at your desk and in common areas for unsoiled paper, cans and bottles to reduce waste going to the landfill.Remember to take the At Work Pledge at: http://pinellas.ifas.ufl.edu/sustainability/index.shtml