Vestina F. Crayton, Pinellas County Extension Educator, Urban Sustainability
2. Maintenance and Durability – How long will this product last?
3. Health – How will this product affect my indoor air quality?
- Look for vendors that offer products made of salvaged wood.
- Look for the FSC label (http://www.fsc.org/)
- Reconsider purchasing exotic woods.
- Buy floors that are factory sealed. This minimizes the use of chemicals.
- Use low VOC sealants for unfinished floors.
- Make sure the engineered wood has low levels of urea formaldehyde. This information can be found on the OSHA Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=10099#1910.1200(g)
Whatever material you decide to purchase, do the research and ask the right questions.
Pinellas County Extension – Solutions for Your Life http://pinellas.ifas.ufl.edu/sustainability/green_purchasing.shtml
Occupational Safety and Health Administration http://www.osha.gov/
Forest Stewardship Council http://www.fsc.org/
Roberts,J, (2006). Good Green Kitchens, Utah: Gibbs Smith