Requesting a Payment Trace to Track your Stimulus Check(s)
Suppose you haven’t received your Stimulus Check/Economic Impact Payment (EIP) even though you received Notice 1444 or Notice 1444-B showing your payment was issued, or your online account shows your payment amounts. In that case, there is something you can do. You can request an IRS payment trace. The payment trace can be initiated when one of the following applies to your situation.
- 5 days since the deposit date, and the bank says it hasn’t received the payment
- 4 weeks since the payment was mailed by check to a standard address
- 6 weeks since the payment was mailed, and you have a forwarding address on file with the local post office
- 9 weeks since the payment was mailed, and you have a foreign address
To initiate a payment trace, complete IRS Form 3911 “Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund” https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3911.pdf
IRS Form 3911 is two pages with headings Section I, Section II, Section III, Section IV.
- Write EIP 1 or EIP 2 on the top of the form.
- Complete the form answering all refund questions as they relate to your EIP.
- You will complete Sections I, II, and III
- When completing Section I, Item 7
- Check the box for “individual” as the Type of Return
- Enter “2020” as the Tax Period
- Do not write anything for the Date Filed
Mail or Fax the form to:
Austin internal Revenue Service, 3651 Interregional Hwy 35, Austin, TX 78741