Agriculture Businesses during Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
I received some questions from growers about agriculture compliance during Coronavirus pandemic
As today, April 2 of 2020. I summarized the following information
Coronavirus Emergency Order 07-20 Businesses
Essential Businesses which may remain open
Below is a fraction of the whole document. With sections that may be relevant to agricultural Operations. But we strongly recommend reading the entire document.
The County of Miami-Dade County under the Miami-Dade County Declaration of local State of Emergency orders:
- All non-essential retail and commercial establishments are ordered closed.
- Essential retails and commercial business, which may remain open
b. Grocery stores, farmers’ markets, farm and produce stands, supermarkets, food banks, convenience stores, and other establishments engaged in the retails sale of canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish and poultry, and any other household consumer products (such as cleaning and personal care products) . This authorization includes stores that sell groceries and also sell other non-grocery products, and products necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operations of residents;
c.Food cultivation, including farming, livestock, and fishing;
u. Landscape and pool care businesses, including residential landscape and poll care services;
y. Logistics providers, including warehouses, trucking, consolidators, fumigators, and handlers;
gg. Any business that is interacting with customers solely through electronic or telephonic means, and delivering products via mailing, shipping, or delivering services
4. This order does not limit the number of persons who may be physically present performing services…..Employers and employees are urged, but not required, to practice social distancing, such as keeping six feet between persons and limiting group size to less than ten people.
This order shall be effective as of 09:00 pm, March 19, 2020.
For the whole Emergency order in Miami-Dade County (March 19 of 2020) CLICK HERE
Safer at Home Executive Order
Regarding the upcoming “Safer at Home” Executive order by Florida Governor to start ar 12:01 am on Friday, April 3 and to expire on April 30 unless told otherwise.
Below are important documents for your operation
- A memorandum from the Department of Homeland Security identifying essential critical infrastructure workers (including food and agriculture) during COVID-19 response. Download Safer at Home Executive Order HERE
- A generic essential employee exemption sample letter that FDACS has provided. Download Essential employee FDACS sample letter
- A sample letter that Florida Fertilizer and Agrichemical Association has shared with their membership.Download AG Supplier template
Please, if you have questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our UF/IFAS Extension office is closed to the public until further notice.