What is the 4-H Chick Chain Project?
How does the 4-H Chick Chain Project work?
- Purchase or hatch your own chicks from March 1-31, 2019. The number you choose to purchase or hatch is up to you. We recommend that you have at least three chicks.
- Chicks must be chosen from one of the following breeds:
▪ Barred Rock
▪ Jersey Giant
▪ Rhode Island Red
- Register for the 4-H Chick Chain Project through your 4-H member profile: http://florida.4honline.com.
- You will raise and care for your chicks over about 21 weeks before the final event.
- You’ll also attend a showmanship and poultry knowledge workshop.
- At the end of the project, you’ll exhibit your two best pullets in the 4-H Chick Chain Show, Showmanship and Skill-a-thon contest.
- You will also participate in showmanship with a bird of your choice or one that we provide.
Who Can Join?
The 4-H Chick Chain project is open to new and returning 4-H members. The 4-H Chicken Champs Club meets monthly to practice showmanship and learn the basics of poultry production. Membership in Chicken Champs is recommended but not required. 4-H membership is required to participate in the Chicken Champs project.
Project Details Including Project Books
|The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) is an Equal Opportunity Institution authorized to provide research, educational information, and other services only to individuals and institutions that function with non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political opinions, or affiliations. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Cooperative Extension Service, University of Florida, IFAS, Florida A&M University Cooperative Extension Program, and Boards of County Commissioners Cooperating|