National Honeybee Day 2022
Written by Hailey Peirce for Nickie Munroe
August 20th, 2022, is National Honeybee Day. Today we are focusing on all things honey. We all know the delicious sweetness that honey brings to our taste buds. But did you know that honey has qualities that are beneficial to our health? Read on for more information on the health benefits of honey and for delicious honey recipes!
Honey’s Health Benefits
Honey has been valued for its sweetness and medicinal uses for thousands of years. It can be used as a natural remedy for ailments and injuries such as coughs and wounds. Honey has antibacterial and antifungal properties which can assist our bodies in fighting infection, both inside and on the outside. One way to utilize honey the next time you are feeling “under the weather” is by making and drinking a warm lemon and honey tea. Breathing in the vapors while sipping this soothing drink can help loosen sinus congestion.
Additionally, honey contains antioxidants and minerals which boost our health and protect our bodies from harmful substances. Another way in which you can begin receiving the health benefits of honey is by using honey instead of table sugar in you daily diet. Use honey instead of granulated white sugar to sweeten your tea, coffee, and even some recipes. Although honey and sugar are both mostly glucose and fructose, honey contains enzymes and trace minerals such as calcium and phosphorus which provide health benefits not found in table sugar.
Recipes: Honey Popcorn Balls
If you are looking for a fun way to satisfy your sweet-tooth, look no further. These popcorn balls highlight the sweetness of honey in a delicious and creative way. They would also serve as a great treat to give to friends and family during the Holidays. Recipe by Yvonne Florian, UF/IFAS Indian River County Extension Staff Assistant
- 10 to 12 cups popped popcorn, unsalted, unbuttered
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place your prepared popped popcorn into a large metal or ceramic bowl and set to the side. In a saucepan, combine and heat the brown sugar, honey and butter on low heat till the mixture bubbles around the edges. Once bubbles form around the edges, immediately pour the hot mixture over the popped popcorn and stir with a metal or wooden spoon until all the popcorn is lightly coated with the honey mixture.
- Being careful with the hot mixture and using well-buttered hands or a popcorn-ball maker, form the popcorn into balls and gently squeeze to compress the honey-covered popcorn together. If using a popcorn-ball maker, heap the popcorn into one side of the the maker and squeeze to compress the popcorn balls together. See resources at the end of this blog for ordering a popcorn ball maker.
- Place the completed popcorn balls onto a large sheet of wax-paper to cool. Using a square sheet of wax paper for ball, form a cylinder around the popcorn ball with the popcorn ball in the center, folding the edges over each other twice. Twist the ends of the wax-paper around the ball to form the shape of a large candy wrapper.
Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
This sweet and tangy honey mustard dressing is the perfect option to brighten up your next salad and more. Pair it with your favorite salad ingredients such as spinach, shopped apple feta cheese and chicken breast. Recipe by Hailey Peirce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- pinch of salt to taste
- pinch of ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- prepare your salad ingredients by washing and chopping. Arrange salad on your plate.
- In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. whisk together with a fork or whisk for about 1 to 2 minutes, until completely combined.
- Immediately drizzle dressing onto your prepared salad and enjoy. Dressing may be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to a week.
Armstrong, Lauren, and Contributor. “Is Honey Better Than Sugar?: A dietitian Shares Why She Loves Honey’s Health Benefits, and Her Favorite Ways to Use it.”, CNBC, CNBC, 9 Jan. 2022
Pogored. “Health Benefits of Honey and How to Use It”, Cleveland Clinis, Cleveland Clinic, 20 Aug. 2021, https://health.clevelandclinic.org/the-benefits-of-honey-how-to-incorporate-it-into-your-diet/.
Samarghandian, Saeed, et al. “Honey and Health: A Review of Recent Clinical Research.” Pharmacognosy Research, Medknow Publications & Media Pvt Ltd, 2017, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5424551/#:~:text=According%20to%20modern%20scientific%20literature,of%20antioxidant%20are%20present%20in.
Jolly Time Popcorn ball maker: The Jolly Time Popcorn company has a rewards program where you may send in proofs-of-purchase and receive free items, such as their popcorn ball maker. Or you may order one here.