Don’t let winter’s cold weather freeze your conservation-friendly habits; use the following tips to stay sustainable.
- Decrease the chance of vehicle damage by making it winter-ready—check your tires and filter and fluid levels.
- Reuse or recycle paper and plastic shopping bags from the holiday season.
- If you’re shopping for new appliances, purchase ones with the Energy Star label.
- Fix any air duct leaks to make sure the warm air flows smoothly throughout the home.
- Carbon monoxide is deadly—if using a generator, then place it far away from doors, windows, and vents.
- Compost leftover ashes from your wood-burning fireplace rather than throwing them in the trash.
- Avoid using disposable batteries, which can become hazardous waste, and use rechargeable ones instead.
Adapted and excerpted from:
“Winter Tips,” United States EPA (05/2014).