On Monday December 16, Escambia County 4-H hosted its third annual Holiday Bake-Off. The Holiday Bake-off was a success as 38 different 4-H members submitted 91 delicious entries that were all judged on their own merit. Later that evening, 4-H members and their families showed up at the Langley Bell 4-H Center to enjoy the awards ceremony and all of the goodies.
All Holiday Bake-off entries were dropped off between the hours of 7:00am and 11:00am. The entries were placed in one of 12 different divisions and then judged in the early afternoon. The awards ceremony started at 6:30 pm. All of the 4-H members were treated to a full crowd as they got their pictures taken. Division winning entries received the coveted golden spoon for all of their hard work. Cloverbuds, 4-H members ages 5-7, also were able to have entries, though their desserts were not judged. Cloverbuds received a participation ribbon and golden spoon for their hard work.
As part of a community service project, 4-H members were challenged to bring a toy to be given to a local charity. Many toys were donated to Toys for Tots to brighten the holiday season for local youth.
The category winners were:
- Cloverbuds (Participation ribbon only)-Baylee B. (4), Lindsay Carbone, Zaiyn Chauvette (2), Mallory Mahoney, Joanna Powell (2), Anna Simmons, Weston Simmons
- Cakes-Brayton Workman of the Escambia Shooting Stars 4-H Club
- Cupcakes-Wyatt Kervin of the Escambia Shooting Stars 4-H Club
- Pies-Tucker Padgett of the Barrineau Park 4-H Club
- Candies-Ethan Thorne of the Escambia County Leadership 4-H Club
- Cookies-T. Bridgers of the Barrineau Park 4-H Club
- Brownies-Matthew Dunlap of the Northview 4-H Club
- Breads-Kailee Dunlap of the Northview 4-H Club
- Specialty Items-Izzy Kent of the Northview 4-H Club
- Appetizers-Izzy Kent of the Northview 4-H Club
- Lite Recipes-Ryan Clarke of the Northview 4-H Club
- Gluten Free Cookies- Syrah Chauvette of the Northview 4-H Club
- Gingerbread House Making Workshop-Tucker Padgett of the Barrineau Park 4-H Club
The best of show award went to Izzy Kent from the Northview 4-H Club for her “Don’t Pesto My Snowman” Torte Appetizer. Congratulations to all of the 4-H members that participated in the 2019 Escambia County 4-H Holiday Bake-off.