UF International Education Week: CALS Student and Faculty Awards
During the week of Nov. 18-22, the University of Florida celebrates International Education Week. The UF International Center honors faculty, staff and students who contribute to global outreach as part of the week’s festivities.
The UF/IFAS College of Agricultural and Life Sciences congratulates the following students, faculty and staff for receiving international awards from the university.
International Student Achievement Awards: These awards highlight the outstanding academic accomplishments of international students at UF, as well as their contributions to UF and the Gainesville community.
- 1st Place, Alec Courtelis Recipient — Ana Paula dos Santos de Carvalho, Entomology and Nematology major, Ph.D. student
- 2nd Place, Alec Courtelis Recipient — Vratika Chaudhary, Wildlife Ecology and Conservation major, Ph.D. student
- Honorable Mention — Erick Rodrigo da Silva Santos, Agronomy major, Ph.D. student
- Honorable Mention — Raminder Kuar, Agricultural Operations Management major, Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department, Ph.D. student
- Honorable Mention — Hugo Monteiro, Animal Sciences major, Ph.D. student
- Honorable Mention — Francesco Cappai, Plant Molecular and Cellular Biology major, Ph.D. student
- Honorable Mention — Michael James, Soil and Water Sciences major, Ph.D. student
2019-2020 Research Abroad for Doctoral Students: This program aims to prepare doctoral students to compete and become leaders in an increasingly global research environment, and build and strengthen relationships between research groups at the UF and foreign institutions.
- Kimberly Ledger, Wildlife Ecology and Conservation major
- Her proposed research includes integrating approaches from landscape and community ecology to understand how land use and defamation contribute to tick abundance and diversity, and how that translates to prevalence of significant human and livestock tick-borne diseases. Her research will take place in South Africa.
Global Culture Photo Competition
- Category 2 — 1st Place: “Commemorative Photos” by Doosan Shin, Horticultural Science major
- Category 2 — 3rd Place: “Horseshoe Bend” by Krishna Bhattarai, Horticultural Science major
2019-2020 Global Fellows (Faculty): This program provides an opportunity for early career UF faculty to kick-start an international research program. A series of workshops and training sessions, along with a seed grant of $5,000, provides an opportunity to lay the groundwork for an international research project.
- Dr. Jonathan Judy: assistant professor; Soil and Water Sciences Department
- Dr. Julie Meyer: assistant professor, microbial ecology/bioinformatics; Soil and Water Sciences Department
International Educators Awards (College Awards – Senior Faculty)
- Dr. Keith Diem: professor and UF/IFAS Extension specialist; Family, Youth and Community Sciences Department
- Dr. Gerrit Hoogenboom: professor and preeminent scholar; Institute for Sustainable Food Systems, Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department
International Educators Awards (College Awards – Junior Faculty)
- Dr. Rhuanito Ferrarezi: assistant professor of horticultural sciences; UF/IFAS Indian River Research and Education Center
- Dr. Jorge Ruiz-Menjivar: assistant professor of consumer economics/family financial management state specialist; Family, Youth and Community Sciences Department
International Educators Awards (College Awards – Staff)
- Cynthia Hight: academic program specialist I; Agronomy Department
- Cheryl Porter: coordinator, computer applications; Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department