Holiday cheer is something we could all use these days! Get in the Halloween spirit by participating in the Pumpkin Decorating Contest!
We invite all youth to submit 1-3 photos of their painted or carved pumpkin by October 30th! Winners will be selected in the following categories:
• 4-H Spirit
To submit photos go to: https://ufl.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4IMo6STYsaGT2SN. Winners will be announced on our Alachua 4-H Facebook page on October 31st!
Some Tips for Painting a Pumpkin
• A base layer of spray paint will help the other paint coats to stick. Spray paint works great for this along with other craft paints.
• Smaller painting areas are best done with acrylic craft paints
• Consider using other materials like craft paper or material like felt
If you are looking to go the messy but still fun route carving a pumpkin here are some tips:
• Start with a pumpkin that is sturdy, doesn’t have bruises and has a flat bottom
• Consider cutting a hole from the bottom which helps prevent it from caving in later
• You don’t need fancy tools to scrape out the pulp, an ice cream scoop will work
• Bonus- If you have chickens they love to eat the pulp
• Sketch out your design and do a light rough cut of your design
• If you are using a sharp tool remember not to rush and keep your tools dry so they don’t get slippery
• Remember to use your scrapes! You can use toothpicks or other things to incorporate them ack into the design
• Put petroleum jelly on the cared edges to add moisture and help the pumpkin stay fresh longer
• Sprinkle some cinnamon inside the pumpkin if you want to have a pumpkin pie smell
• Add battery powered candles to safely make your pumpkin glow