Plastic Free July
A global movement called Plastic Free July® has occurred every year since 2011. The campaign encourages people to reduce their use of plastic and to be part of the solution to plastic pollution. Refusing and reducing your use of single-use plastics is a big part of the goal of the movement. By reducing your use of plastic in your home, work, school, or even when you’re out grabbing a bite to eat, this can help to reduce the amount of plastic pollution that gets into our landfills and environment. Changing how you use plastic and using alternatives to plastic can lead to long-term behavior change and new habits. Here are just a couple actions you can take to reduce your use of plastic this month:
- Bring a reusable coffee cup when grabbing that morning cup of coffee
- Bring your own reusable shopping bag when buying food at the grocery store
- Refuse plastic straws and bring your own straw for drinks
- Don’t buy plastic water bottles, instead bring your own reusable water bottle
- Find plastic-free alternatives when buying fruit and vegetables
- Look at all the ways you use plastic in your home and replace with reusable alternatives
- Reduce, reuse, refuse, and recycle whenever you can
Calling all shutterbugs!
To celebrate this month, Florida Sea Grant is running a photo contest so you can show your motivation for reducing your use of plastic. Florida Sea Grant will be sharing submissions throughout the month across their social media channels. A judging panel will select 3 finalists to receive special recognition and a Florida Sea Grant swag prize pack.
- A complete entry requires an original photo and 2-3 sentences answering the question “What motivates you to reduce your plastic use?”
- Submit your entry to the contest’s Google Form no later than July 26, 2021. Winners will be contacted and announced by July 29, 2021.
- All ages are eligible! One submission per person though.