After school programing isn’t just a babysitter option. It is much more! After school activities can help youth in a variety of ways. In addition to providing a safe space with caring adult mentors, after school programs help youth learn time-management skills, build self-esteem and goal setting skills. It is also an opportunity to make new friends and grow together.
Taylor County 4-H is doing exactly that with their Afterschool Programs. Their After School Program is an educational program offered through the Taylor County Extension Office. This program is designed to meet the needs of working parents through offering a safe place youth can be during out of school time. It also creates positive youth development of belonging, mastery, independence and generosity The afterschool program is a cost recovery program, meaning parents pay $50.00 per week. This tuition covers the cost of program materials and the UF staff that facilitates the program. Each week, youth participate in research based educational programs, attend community clubs, and complete homework.
After School Programming
After school programming is educational programming that parents can send their children to when school is over. Working parents often need a little help after school and this programming is best, because they are not only in a safe place, they are being taught life lessons and skills and at the same time making friends.
Benefits of Afterschool Programs
- Older kids in afterschool programs are less likely to get involved in risky behavior.
- Creates a sense of belonging- gives your child a chance to connect with familiar kids in a different environment. .
- Improves social skills- Can help kids about joining a new game or starting a conversation
- Provides academic support- helping your child get their homework done so when you get home there is more quality time to spend with your family.
- Makes learning more fun- Knowing there aren’t tests to be taken helps youth feel more relaxed and open-minded.
- Provides safety and supervision- A safe, caring environment keeps youth out of trouble and gives the parents a peace of mind.
- Builds confidence- Kids with learning or attention issues feel more accepted at an afterschool program.
If you would like to learn more about the afterschool programs offered near you, contact your local Extension 4-H Agent.