It is summertime, and that means there is a wide variety of Florida grown fruits and vegetables to choose. It is the best time to take advantage of this time a year to consume and eat healthy and fresh fruits and vegetables. As we know, this pandemic affected all industries, including agriculture. So, the question is how we can support our local growers and economy? We always recommend you choose fresh Florida-grown produce. You and your children may want to consider picking your own fresh produce from U-Pick Farms near you. Some advantages of picking your own fruits and vegetables are:
- Explore nature: One of the great benefits of visiting U-Pick farms is spending time in nature. If you live in city, it gives you a great opportunity to explore countryside and find beauty in the surrounding farms, regardless of what type of produce is grown on the farm. Most farms grow varieties of produces and flowers. Flowers attract various butterflies and bees that make the farm delighting and wild.
- Kids know where their food comes from and how it is grown: If you take your kids to U-Pick farm, they have a chance to get to know the farmers who grows the produce. They learn many things about the methods, fertilizers, and herbicides they use to grow the crops.
- Support local economy: Shopping from U-Pick farm benefits your local growers and economy by keeping dollars in your community. You make your community where you live an even better place to live.
- Cost saving: U-Pick farm are usually cheaper than local farmers market or grocery stores. However, you can compare the unit price in U-Pick farm with other markets and choose the lowest price.
- Better shelf life: You pick fruits and vegetables from plants directly at U-Pick farm, it means that there is not any delay between harvesting and consuming, such as storing and shipping time.
- They are healthy: If organic is important to you and the farm is not certified organic, you will be surprised to find the produce is just as clean as a certified organic product.