Grow Your Florida Healthy Florida Lifestyle Class 2022:
The UF/IFAS Extension in Seminole County is excited to be hosting a class called Grow Your Healthy Florida Lifestyle. During this 5-week IN-PERSON course, participants will get to learn from the different UF/IFAS Extension Agents about how each area of their expertise ties into overall healthy living and well-being! The class will meet once a week on Fridays from 10am to 1pm starting on April 15th until May 13th.
What will we do?
We are happy you asked! The classes will include hands-on learning opportunities, field trips, food preparation/tasting, and much more! Below is a tentative class schedule:
- 4/15 Welcome to Wellness: Learn all about wellness, local food, and take a guided mindfulness hike in a local natural area*.
- 4/22 Veggies and Herbs: Learn about the food we eat, cooking with herbs, both traditional and hydroponic gardening techniques for growing food at home and more!
- 4/29 All About Livestock: Learn about the cattle industry in Florida, types of meat and meat alternatives, honeybees as livestock and more!
- 5/6 Great Grains and the Farm: Learn about grains, the nutritional value of different types of grains, the history of production in the US, composting and more!
- 5/13 As Sweet As Fruit: Learn about different fruits grown in Florida, the basics of plant propagation, how to propagate some easy to grow fruit at home, and take a trip to a local farm*
*Participants are responsible for their own transportation to our two field trip destinations. All trips are within a 10 minute drive from the classroom. During our field trips, we will be outside walking on a variety of terrain. Please wear comfortable walking shoes and attire, and bring a hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses too!
Why should I attend?
We are learning more and more that overall well-being is more than just eating a healthy diet and exercise. Practicing mindfulness, taking care of the environment, and being empowered by growing food ourselves can help us build connections to ourselves, our communities, and the living world around us.
How do I sign up?
The cost for the 5-week class is $30 and you can sign up by following this link- https://www.eventbrite.com/e/grow-your-healthy-florida-lifestyle-in-person-tickets-240485407327 . You can also sign up by visiting our office at 250 W. County Home Rd. Sanford, FL 32773 between the hours of 8am and 5pm Monday through Friday.
For persons with disabilities requiring special accommodations, please contact Morgan Pinkerton at 407-665-5554 at least 10 days prior to the scheduled event so that proper consideration may be given to the request.
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) is an Equal Opportunity Institution authorized to provide research, educational information and other services only to individuals and institutions that function with non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations. For more information on obtaining other UF/IFAS Extension publications, contact your county’s UF/IFAS Extension office.