What is Food Check-Out Week?
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, the average family of four will earn enough money after seven weeks of working to pay for all their food for the rest of the year. Our farmers work all year long to produce the food we eat. Today, the average American is about three generations removed from farming. Only about 1.4% of the population in the U.S. works in farming.
In Florida, we still have a huge diversity of farms! We are even one of the top producers of many fresh market fruits and veggies. In this state, we have fresh, local produce available nearly all year long, unlike many other states. Food Check-Out Week is an annual program that the Florida Farm Bureau uses to highlight Florida agriculture and our outstanding local food!
Food Check-Out Week Scavenger Hunt
This year, Seminole County Farm Bureau has teamed up with UF/IFAS Extension Seminole County to put together new content for Food Check-Out Week. Throughout the week, we will be posting videos, blogs, and other graphics on social media to teach people about our local agriculture and healthy living.
As with our Virtual Farm Tour in 2021, we have created an online scavenger hunt! We will be hiding keywords in our posts during Food Check-Out Week. If you collect at least 3 keywords, you might be able to win some cool stuff! We are giving away a few cool items including an e-gift card for produce at Big Daddy’s Organic Farm, and Farm credit grilling kits.
How can you participate?
- Check out our exclusive Food Check-Out Week content (see links below).
- Collect at least 3 keywords hidden in the videos, blogs, and social media posts. (Hint: Check the video captions and blogs)
- Fill out this quick survey. One question will ask you to type in at least 3 keywords. The survey will close on February 27th, 2022 at 11:59PM. Randomly selected participants will be contacted after February 28th with information on how to pick up their goodies from the UF/IFAS Extension Seminole County office in Sanford, FL.
Food Check-Out Week Content
Check back here throughout the week for content prepared exclusively for Food Check-Out Week! (Please note, links might not work until content has been published.)
- 2022 Guide to Seminole County Farms and Farmers Markets
- Cooking With Local Produce: Berry Beat Salad; Blog, Video
- Cooking With Local Produce: Colorful Swiss Chard Side; Blog, Video
- Cooking With Local Produce: How to Properly Freeze Veggies; Blog, Video
- A Trip Inside the Bee Hive
- Get ready for our 2022 Seminole County Farm Tour!
- Playlist of last year’s Virtual Farm Tour!
- UF/IFAS Extension Seminole County Facebook Page
- Seminole County Farm Bureau Webpage
Thank you to Farm Credit of Central Florida for the donation of grilling sets and Big Daddy’s Organic Farm for the donation of gift cards as giveaways.
KEYWORD: CHECKOUT (Congrats! You have found your first key word! Keep searching for more keywords to collect at least 3)