The Central Florida Fair and 4-H…it’s Fantastic!
Games, fried food, and midway rides, oh my! The Central Florida Fair is just around the corner and the food and the fun is just the beginning of it. The Central Florida Fair also gives 4-H youth in Seminole, Orange, Brevard, Lake, Osceola, and Volusia counties the opportunity to exhibit what they are learning in their 4-H “projects.”
What is a project?
Projects are a series of learning experiences within an area of interest. These projects could be beef or clothing; gardening or health; poultry or environmental education. Florida 4-H has over 60 projects for youth to choose from!
How are 4-H’ers able to show their work in their project areas?
Some youth show their animals, with over 2,500 4-H and FFA projects entered in cattle, swine, lamb, poultry, rabbits, cavies, and horses (https://centralfloridafair.com/livestock/). All 4-H youth may enter tabletop exhibits about their 4-H project, photography, and posters. More information may be found in the 2021 Central Florida Fair 4-H Youth Exhibit Contests Guidelines on the UF IFAS Extension Seminole County 4-H website.
Central Florida Fair contests for all 4-H Youth:
- 4-H Photography
- 4-H Posters
- 4-H Member Exhibits
Some Guidelines and Deadlines:
- Entries will be judges on a Danish system (blue, red and white, based on a standard) for Juniors, Intermediates and Seniors
- Cloverbuds will receive recognition for participation
- Register to participate in 4-H Online by February 1, 2021
- Exhibit check-in: Monday, March 1, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Exhibit check out: Monday, March 15, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- If you are unable to make either of these time frames, you must make arrangements with your 4-H Agent (email@example.com) in advance.
Regional and county fairs in the state have a long tradition of providing opportunities for 4-H’ers to publicly show their projects and compete for awards. The Central Florida Fair is celebrating its 108th year.
So, while the elephant ear and Ferris wheel may draw you to the Central Florida Fair, stick around and experience some of the great things that the youth in Seminole County 4-H and Central Florida are doing in their 4-H projects! The Central Florida Fair runs March 4-14, 2021.