When you were younger, did you ever think about what it took to stay healthy? I’m guessing that many of us might have taken our good health for granted.
Now, as you have aged and continue to do so, have you ever thought about what changes you could make to your lifestyle to continue enjoying good health, remaining active, and living independently?
Research has shown that good health not only gives us more energy and endurance but also plays an important role in preventing major causes of illness, such as heart disease, some cancers, diabetes, and obesity. Good health also plays an important role in reducing our risk of falling.
So, what can you do to stay healthy as you age?
In our “Age Friendly: Smart Lifestyle choices for Healthy Aging,” we’ll look at some lifestyle factors that can keep us healthy and active. I’ll share with you some of my previous age-related posts, like “Let’s Keep Moving!”, which talks about physical activity and why it’s so important. I’ll also include some great resources for you to learn even more on staying healthy.
We’ll cover a range of topics, including:
- How should we fill our plate?
- Food groups: vegetables, fruits and grains
- Food groups: proteins and dairy foods
- Food groups: beverages and more
- Should I include snacking in my daily diet?
- Sodium intake, and how much is too much?
- Why should I drink if I’m not feeling thirsty?
- What is a healthy weight?
- What are some roadblocks that keep you from eating healthy?
- Putting it all together
I hope you’ll join me to (virtually) talk about our eating patterns and lifestyle choices. And, please reach out if you would like to suggest some healthy living topics on aging.